Madison Mutual Insurance Company is an environment in which all people behave in a manner that engenders mutual respect, treating each other with courtesy and civility regardless of position or status within the company. Rude, disrespectful behavior is unwelcome and will not be tolerated.
Our company is one where we demonstrate respect for each other; we accept our individual differences; and we provide opportunities for everyone to maximize his or her potential. Every member of our company will be held accountable for creating a welcoming, safe and civil workplace for all.
For purposes of this policy, uncivil conduct and behaviors contributing to an uncivil environment include but are not limited to the following:
- Insults and name calling
- Judgmental tone
- Profanity directed at another
- Belittling others because of their language skills or word choice
- Taunting, jeering, inciting others to taunt or jeer at an individual; deliberately pushing others to the point of breaching civility even if not seeming to commit such a breach themselves
- Raising one's voice at another individual
- Ill-considered accusations of impropriety; for instance, calling someone a liar, or accusing him/her of slander or libel
- Indecent suggestions
- Making personal attacks, including but not limited to racial, ethnic, sexual or religious slurs
- Using derogatory language towards others or, in general, referring to groups such as social classes, nationalities, ethnic groups, religious groups or others in a derogatory manner
- Directing vulgar, obscene or profane gestures or words at another individual
- Repeatedly interrupting another person who is speaking at an appropriate time and place
- Imposing personal demands at times or in settings where they conflict with assigned duties and cannot reasonably be met
- Using personal epithets
- Gesturing in a manner that puts another in fear for his/her personal safety
- Invading the personal space of an individual after being directed to move away
- Physically blocking an individual's exit from a room or location
- Remaining in an area after a person in authority has directed one to leave
- Violating the privacy of another individual's belongings (except for lawful searches)
Employees of Madison Mutual Insurance Company will treat each other and members of the public with respect. The same treatment is expected in return.
This policy is intended to promote mutual respect, civility and orderly conduct among company employees and the public. This policy is not intended to deprive any person of his or her right to freedom of expression, but only to maintain a safe, harassment-free workplace. The company seeks public cooperation with this endeavor.